Retroactive Airdrop Excludes Proxy Contract Users (e.g. Dharma, Matcha, etc.)

The more I think about it, I think that while it is frustrating for people who used a proxy, that is one of the risks when using a proxy. I handle multiple accounts for family members who don’t have the time to invest in crypto. When the UNI airdrop happened I could have taken all their UNI, transferred it to my address and they would have been none the wiser. Granted, I informed them of the windfall, let them know that not selling at airdrop price was an extreme risk, and let them decide. At the end of the day I did all of the work managing assets and making trades on their accounts to provide them with a benefit (profit in this case). I could have by all rights taken the UNI as I was the only one interacting the the actual system.

This is one of the risks of using a broker over handling your money directly, you are delegating some resource to a third-party (time, money, making certain decisions for you) in order to make it easier for you.

The inherent risk remains that the proxy is the one really involved with the core system, and therefore have set themselves up in a position to act as a wall.

Clearly, anyone who uses a proxy for anything is gaining something, otherwise they wouldn’t be using a proxy. When the proxy then receives a benefit from the third party they’re mediating business with for you gets access to a reward, you’re not entitled to it.

Again, that is the inherent risk of using a proxy service that has existed and will exist as long as proxies do.

3 Likes