Uniswap Super Bowl Ad 2022

Simultaneously serious + moonshot crazy proposal + thought experiment:

Super Bowl ads are $5m (as of 2019).

Uniswap community treasury is >$500m.

so I say “Wen Uniswap Super Bowl ad?”

Imagine a smart person(s) could easily work out a way to just use yield from the treasury to cover that by the time Super Bowl 2022 rolls around. Requires essentially a 1% return on current AUM. I don’t even like sports but without a doubt it could be a really legendary and cultural watershed moment for DeFi and Uniswap. Would also be super fun to work on.

I realize this sounds nuts and like a joke, but think it’s cool and also within reach, and would actually end up paying for itself.

Thoughts?

6 Likes

FUCK YEAH!

In all seriousness this a great idea, and if we wont do it, sushi will 100% copy it and do it themselves.

no‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

4 Likes

I run a commercial production company, and I would 100% make this for UNI. Just saying…

Ticari bir prodüksiyon şirketi işletiyorum ve bunu% 100 UNI için yapacağım. Sadece söylüyorum…

While the idea is superficially fun, I worry about two major details.

1. Is it worth giving up what 5mm could do for our community directly? Could 5mm put into LP position visualizations, interface refinement, bounties for features, or legal representation for governance be of better use than an advertisement?

2. The NFL has been a driving force for racist repression (colin kaepernick’s persecution for protesting) and scientific obfuscation (Chronic traumatic encephalopathy) for a long time now. Is it right, giving 5mm to an institution that perpetuates this kind of thing?

3 Likes

I think what’s actually useful about the proposal, and why I proposed it, is executing on this – even halfway – requires an actual treasury management plan. There’s over a billion in idle capital that’s doing absolutely nothing (aside from the very good grants program) and it’s a shame. 5m a drop in the bucket considering current on-chain yields against $1b+ AUM. was only a few months ago we were seriously considering giving away 10M UNI - 150M at today’s prices - for a liquidity mining program that ultimately turned out to be completely unnecessary.

I assumed doing something marginally exciting and eye catching would get more people involved. But yeah, governance is a ghost town atm.

as for #2, money goes to the networks but sure, maybe there’s better options. was half serious anyways, proposal was really a trojan horse for a treasury management system.

Would it even reach the correct audience ?

I’m really sceptic until proven otherwise

What is Super Bowl? Never heard of it.

Does not this make Uniswap a centralized entity for us goverment?.Must think about legal
issues this will create.
So No.

Yup. Might be a good idea but also have to think about legal ramifications as US is too much embroiled in making money by suing!

Do not spend $5M on ads when:

1. You are not prepared to sustain 5M new customers in one shot (with 1$ CAC)
  2. You do not have Fiat<>Crypto bridges (those 5M are mostly not yet into crypto, most of them do not have ETH)
  3. Those potential 5M users have no idea about gas prices / fees; would not be the most willing to trade and even less to supply liquidity
  4. You should be putting those $5M in building up a super strong support & content (education) team first.

Much love <3

4 Likes

This is great idea, but there’s one reason (at the end as to) why I can’t support it.

Firstly, 5M is less than 1% of the treasury, espically given the fact we’re hardly short on funds with more money than we know what to do with.

I’d expect the media to help amplify this, as it would be the most unusual advert at the super bowl.

However, we literally can’t onboard any more users until Layer 2 solutions are available and work at scale. We’ll probably end up in a lot of disappointed users not understanding the (for now) hideously high gas fees.

good points, both. @nethan @Danpi314

agree with the congestion issues, my working assumption is uni on optimism would be live by Jan 22. also think that the confirmed moves of several major protocols into optimism will be shortly followed by apps like dharma/argent/rainbow supporting optimism and solving a lot of the onboarding issues. it could be that the next wave of defi adoption begins and ends in optimism/mobile wallet apps for most users.

very curious as to what you would suggest for support/content team? perhaps that’s a more interesting idea to follow for the rest of the community.

This is a horrible idea…who are you trying to target with that ad? Boomers and people who have no idea about what Uniswap is? For a pricetag of 5M?

I mean, its a nice joke and a good superficial idea, but when you actually think about it…its utterly horrible.