[POLL] Should UNI Holders Be Rewarded?

People feel this need i think? Rally troops?

2 Likes

Northoak, I believe many more individuals would not have liquidated their 400 UNI tokens if they were aware of the breath and depth of these future projects you had mentioned.
That said, those who hodle and contribute to the governance of future projects should be rewarded.

1 Like

I think this is totally fair. No hodle no reward…

2 Likes

Whats the point of rewarding hoddlers, i fail to see exactly why people support this idea.
I think individuals that are involved in the project (providing liquidity in UNI or other tokens, voting, developing, etc…) should be those that get the rewards imo.

2 Likes

I think that is what is meant by rewarding holders.
The active holders that participate will be rewarded extra eg: by Voting .
But passive holders shouldn’t be punished with eg: 2% inflation dilution.
At least this should be thought of very carefully.
Else this uni liquity miners will dump any farmed uni straight to market and we know how that works outfor token price.

2 Likes

In any case people who vote on proposals should be rewarded in my opinion. I don’t know how much is appropriate but at least a little to compensate some of the Ethereum gas fees.

I as well don’t see any point in revarding people who just hold. I think it is a waste of UNI. The reserves should be used sparingly.

2 Likes

Can you provide a source for this ?

2 Likes

All the top Blockchains are now encouraging holders by rewarding.

Next, we can make it more attractive for UNI investors by making all new projects which will list on Uniswap to contribute a set percentage to the existing UNI holders in the form of airdrop.

The percentage proposal can be decided by community. This will create awairness for the new project at the same time will force the new company to be more creative and in highlighting viable project benefits to its investor.

1 Like

Any ERC-20 token can be traded on Uniswap thus why you get the warning going into any token reminding you to be careful of scams so there is no listing as such. Also what is the incentive for a project to do this would like to know?

1 Like

It seems to me that delegating votes would solve the problem of unwanted participation for the most part.

#1 I think is poll is highly non-representative of what UNI token holders think, as it’s sample is heavily skewed towards people who want to actively participate in governance.
A very small % of UNI holders finds themselfes in ‘Governance-meta’ subforum.

#2 Functionally the closest thing to UNI token from the traditional financial world is shares. You can vote as a shareholder, but you don’t have to vote as a shareholder to receive dividends.

When answering the question about rewarding UNI holders an important clarification needs to be made:
How should UNI holders be rewarded?

I see 2 ways to reward UNI holders:

1. With supply dilution - from the community treasury fund. This in my opinion is meaningless and achieves nothing, a lot of reasons for that were expressed above.
  2. With the value that the protocol produces.

The second way is quite beneficial and necessary in my opinion, as it brings the value to the token.
If part of the fees gained by the platform goes towards UNI holders, it becomes much easier for people to assess the value of their holdings by using metrics from traditional markets analysis.

So, when speaking about the 2nd way, I don’t think that much participation should be needed to receive ETH rewards from trading activity on the platform. As @mak already noted, forced participation is not a good thing.

If it was up to me, I would distribute ETH rewards for holding the token and UNI rewards for active participation in the network.

13 Likes

Definitely a great idea to reward holders for holding UNI

3 Likes

I wonder if in this scenario incentives could be aligned such that higher-quality interactions in governance are rewarded more. More UNI means more votes to give, more votes earned means more rewards for the votes earner. Unsure yet if this is desirable, just something to think about.

Another idea, someone who is well known (e.g. Vitalik) that might not want the rewards but would earn a lot of them could choose to not earn them or to have them go towards some other purpose.

1 Like

What, if any, are the ways in which passively holding $UNI benefits Uniswap?

3 Likes

At this point, there are none. Unless more token features get added in the future that’d make ‘holding’ UNI beneficial for the network (and user) other than speculation.

Therefore, I shared the above comment

1 Like

After thinking a bit, two benefits are:

• The price of UNI goes up, which benefits everyone in all four allocation pools.
  • Admittedly more abstract, but anyone who holds UNI is likely to talk about it, potentially increasing the number of Uniswap users.

I’m skeptical that rewards for these would create a good ecosystem, but I wanted to throw them out there.

2 Likes

The consequence of inflation is the purpose. Utility, scarcity, and demand. They go together like rock, paper, and scissors. Take any one away from the others and you don’t have a game anymore.

That’s why its game over, players. Somebody won and so everyone lost. With a wink and a grin and a flick of a pen they’ll do it again if we let them.

I think we’re all here because we want a new game.

The reward IS the game. How long can we play?

2 Likes

This is a great start!

Reward passive hodlers with Dai, ETH, YFI and other tokens in the ecosystem… LPs, voters and other participants should get maximum rewards.

Check out gitcoindotco I vote to create a learning hub where new UNI users can come learn how to vote, Be an LP and more! Heck I can even create NFTs as rewards with all the artists I know and using for my own platform!

Let grow and more…

2 Likes

I think for the overall stability of the protocol you ABSOLUETLY must incentivise governance. I think if you don’t, then short term incentives will supersede the long term.

5 Likes

I’m going to bounce off this. I think I would like to see ETH rewarded to UNI stakers from transaction fees and UNI rewarded for providing liquidity and participating in protocol governance out of the 2% inflation rate, and perhaps out of the community chest before inflation kicks in. Obviously, the delegates should be rewarded foremost, and then the voters. Finally, I think that the percent of UNI rewards going to governance should be substantially less than the rewards going to liquidity providers.

Also, I just wanted to add, I love the idea of creating NFTs as rewards. I’m a bit of an artist myself. That would be really cool.

2 Likes