[POLL] Should UNI Holders Be Rewarded?

Hey everyone! Hope you guys are well!

Just wanted to gauge the community’s thoughts regarding rewarding UNI holders. I created a little poll, please go ahead an give your opinion.

Should UNI Holders Be Rewarded?

• Yes, UNI holders should be rewarded.
  • Yes, but only if they actively participate in governance/vote.
  • No, UNI holders don’t need additional incentive.

0 voters

Thank you for your input folks! Here’s to a great, decentralized future! :beer:

Zer0dot

34 Likes

Inflation should be thought of as Interest and benefit holders.

6 Likes

I think that’s a good idea. However, how will UNI’s value be maintained as inflation erodes into the governance power of each individual token. I.e: If 100 tokens exist, and inflation brings it up to 102, the voting power (and thus hypothetically value) should stay the same, isn’t that so?

Let me know if that makes sense!

1 Like

IMO the point of having supply inflation is to redistribute value from passive token holders / free-riders to active community members, liquidity providers, integrators, developers, etc. This will increase overall network value in the long run, even for those passive holders who experience gradual dilution.

Rewarding holders of UNI seems like a waste of resources to me, when it could be directed to building out the protocol and gaining market share.

9 Likes

The 2% inflation is a cap on maximum UNI that can be minted per year by governance following the end of community treasury vesting.

The most efficient way to evenly distribute newly minted UNI to all holders would be to burn it all, in which case why mint in the first place

Inflation only really makes sense if its not evenly distributed to all users :stuck_out_tongue:

22 Likes

To your point, Consider the droves of new users in bound. Many people are just now hearing about UNI

2 Likes

agree, at least part of inflated UNI should be given to active participates.

2 Likes

i disagree because it is unfair to those who did not UNI hodler.

Personally, I voted for ‘Yes, but only if they actively participate in governance/vote.’.

Reason: $UNI is a governance token. In order for this to work we’ll need people to create proposals and use their UNI to vote.

There’s a bunch of UNI allocated to be provided to the community. In my opinion, this should be used wisely in a way that benefits the ecosystem and protocol. Users who vote actively engage with Uniswap and the direction it’s going to, which is much more valuable than people who simply hold onto the token and don’t participate.

30 Likes

There’s no reason to mint the coins if it’s going to be distributed to ALL holders since it’s functionally equivalent as not having minted the new coins at all.
In my opinion the best use of the new inflation would be to spend it on development work and outreach or other ventures that help onboard more people to crypto and uniswap. Incentivizing people for participating in governance via inflation tends to be a bad idea in my experience since people tend to make super short term decisions without considering the long term consequences as they are just interested in the rewards and not the proposal itself.

7 Likes

Exactly! Governance dictates a responsibility imo.

3 Likes

What’s “UNFAIR” to those that did not UNI hodl ?

They are by definition … NOT INVOLVED.

3 Likes

DEFINITELY - IF - THEY PARTICPATE IN GOVERNANCE.

ARE WE NOT FOUNDERS OF UNISWAP?

I created a post about being FOUNDERS and thhey have not made it public yet.

We have a HUGE RESPONSIBILITY & MASSIVE UNDERTAKING AHEAD OF US…

FROM THE UNI TOKEN PAGE…

Inspired by Ethereum’s vision, we have long committed to the ideals of permissionless access, security, and immutability, all indespensable components for a future where anyone in the world can access financial services without fear of discrimination or counterparty risk.

Having proven product-market fit for highly decentralized financial infrastructure with a platform that has thrived independently, Uniswap is now particularly well positioned for community-led growth, development, and self-sustainability.

t is crucial that governance is constrained to where it is strictly necessary. With this in mind, the Uniswap governance framework is limited to contributing to both protocol development and usage as well as development of the broader Uniswap ecosystem.

After 30 days, governance will reach its vesting cliff and Uniswap governance will control all UNI vested to the Uniswap treasury. At this point, governance can vote to allocate UNI towards grants, strategic partnerships, governance initiatives, additional liquidity mining pools, and other programs.

A community-managed treasury opens up a world of infinite possibilities.

5 Likes

Lots of great answers here! I’m hopeful we’ll make some progress and decisions pretty quick.

I do want to point out, however, that rewarding fees to active UNI protocol participants in UNI would require the automated purchase of UNI, disincentivizing UNI liquidity providers due to impermanent loss… Does that make sense? Maybe there’s a long-term creative alternative the community will come up with!

Or maybe I have no idea what I’m talking about… Yeah, probably that. :rofl:

1 Like

@Northoak

I believe, as a founder of UNI, that my primary responsibility is ensuring the future value of UNI to liquidity providers and ACTIVE Hodlers. (I will concede the “active” qualification to those “Hodlers” that should benefit)

I believe, as an active Hodler, my selfish animal interests are aligned with …

A) Long Term continued health of ALL aspects of the UNI ecosystem. Hodlers, Liquidity Providers and of course users of THE BEST DECENTRALIZED EXCHANGE IN THE WORLD. Eventually, Cross-Chain … Hyperledger, Stellar, Stratis, Hedera, Tron, et. al.
B) Healthy growth of the “Network”, We want many, many Millions to own and cherish their ownership of UNI. Hoping for “Billions” is unrealistic and “Pollyannish”, excessively optimistic about the impact of Crypto in the Mainstream.
C) Profit, “Greed is Good”, as it relates to the future powerful incentive of the dirty question of UNI’s price on the open market.

May the price of UNI reach for the stars.

I hope we can incorporate, eventually, the concept of a “stock split”. In a mature market where ownership of an asset is coveted, I believe, enabling more and more and more NEW believers to get “in the Game” is absolutely imperative.

If the price is TOO high, then we need to anticipate this and be prepared to allow new people to “Buy In” at a lower price point while protecting the “Investment” of existing active hodlers.

8 Likes

I think the idea of a Founder’s Governance Pool or Reward may be open for a PROPOSAL of some sort when voting begins.

1. UNISWAP FINANCIAL SERVICES - they claim to be just so on the UNI TOKEN page.

2. AND… it says WE sre… "STEWARDS OF THE TREASURY!"

26 There is a Hayden Adams YouTube video - 2 or 3 of the same one on YouTube homepage actually - where Hayden states that … UNISWAP HAS LOTS OF COOL NEW PLANS & IDEAS FOR IT’S PROT0COL.

WHAT ARE THOSE P[LANS? WILL WE BE VOTING ON …

• A UNISWAP CRYPTO CARD?
  • UNISWAP REAL ESTATE EXCHANGE?
  • ???

From his videol, it sounds like we are going to have…
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITY
LOTS OF NEW SERVICES, FEATURES & POOLS TO VOTE ON

THERE ARE NOW SEVERAL YOUTUBE VIDEOS POPPING UP ALMOST EVERY HOUR FROM EXPERTS / ANALYSTS TALIKING ABOUT…

HOW BIGI UNISWAP IS GOING TO BE!

THIS IS ALL VERY EXCITING & SHOULD BE REWARDING AS WELL!

THANKS EVERYONE!

6 Likes

i voted yes. anyone holding should be rewarded. Just for holding and not dumping on the market.
Voters should be rewarded extra for participating.

4 Likes

Where do you go to vote? Because I haven’t seen anything in proposals on Uniswap Interface. Is there a voting mechanism on here?

just via uniswap in 28 days

1 Like

So nothing official to vote on, your just expressing what your gonna vote when the time comes?

1 Like