[RFC] Deploy Friendly Fork of Uniswap V3; ZERO Protocol on Polygon zkEVM

We respect the decentralized aspect of the Uniswap DAO and are more than willing to cooperate on all fronts. In terms of accountability and transparency, we are a totally open book and are happy to dive into any and all discussions in regards to ZERO or any of our protocols, now or in the future.

In response to the screenshots you inserted above - I think there is no denying that getting a cosign from Uniswap would be a huge opportunity not only for Zero protocol, but any protocol who has the courage to go through the governance process and follow the procedure to move to an on-chain vote.

In terms of the proposal being a “benefit to zero”, we could not agree more. There is a unique opportunity for zero protocol and that is why we have committed 10% of our initial supply to Uniswap DAO as a token of our appreciation for their innovation and support.

I definitely agree with others stating how “as the v3 BSL has expired, protocols don’t need an explicit permission to friendly fork Uniswap v3”, this is part of the reason why we decided to go through with this process and ask permission to get the “blessing” of the DAO. We could in fact fork the code with the benefit belonging exclusively with ZERO, but instead we decided to pay respect to Uniswap DAO by formulating what we feel to be an equitable proposition - while at the same time introducing a new, collaborative, and mutually beneficial path forward for UniSwap to engage with protocols that seek to fork its code anyway.

To clarify, when I mentioned that I felt Uniswap wouldn’t vote, what does that mean?
I don’t personally expect or demand the responsibility for Uniswap Governance to vote on the many proposals, but the DAO is free to do so as they see fit.

What would be the topics that the Uniswap community would be able to vote on?
Directing incentives is the core functionality of veNFT power on a ve(3,3) dex

Will the Uniswap community get the revenue from the fee for receiving such tokens?
Uniswap has a right to revenue like any other ve token holder.

In response to my statements that I felt “Uniswap would not deploy on Polygon zkEVM” and my view being “known internally” means nothing short of what I stated.

The proposal for Uniswap v3 to deploy on Polygon zkEVM was first published in March (Uniswap V3 Launch on zkEVM). Now we are 6 months past that approved proposal and we have come to the internal conclusion that we do not feel Uniswap was likely to follow through with deploying on zkEVM. With this in mind, we decided that it would be a great opportunity to do exactly what we are proposing. Going through the proper channels, getting a sponsor, providing all necessary information, reaching out to delegates and offering 10% of our initial supply in pursuit of this unique opportunity to set a new precedent for Uniswap and protocols that aspire to follow suit.

2 Likes