README: How to Create a Consensus Check

The purpose of the Consensus Check is to establish formal discussion around a potential proposal.

To create a Consensus Check:

1. Use feedback from the Temperature Check post and create a new Snapshot poll which covers the options which have gained support. This poll can either be binary or multiple choice but you are required to include the option “Make no change” or its equivalent. Set the poll duration to 5 days.

2. Create a new topic in the Proposal Discussion category on gov.uniswap.org titled “Consensus Check — [Your Title Here]”. This will alert the community that this topic has already passed Temperature Check. Any topics beginning with Consensus Check that have not passed Temperature Check will immediately be removed by moderators. Make sure that the discussion thread links to the new Snapshot poll and the Temperature Check thread.

3. Reach out to your network to build support for the proposal. Discuss the proposal and actively solicit delegates to vote on it. Be willing to respond to questions on the Consensus Check topic. Share your view point, although try to remain as impartial as possible.

At the end of 5 days, whichever option has the majority of votes wins, and can be included in a governance proposal for Stage 3. A 50k UNI yes-vote quorum is required for the Consensus Check to pass.

If the option “Make no change” wins, the Consensus Check topic will be closed by the moderators.

10 Likes

Snapshot.page doesn’t support contract delegates participating, only EOAs. This means that any delegate that uses a multisig or other contract wallet cannot participate in consensus checks. In theory, any responsible delegate with a large amount of voting power will use additional protection beyond a single ECDSA signature for account security, but that means those responsible delegates cannot participate in consensus checks!

This is unfortunate, because it means participation in consensus checks will be lower than participation in actual voting, which makes it difficult to tell whether there is actual consensus or not.

4 Likes

Hi Ashleigh - I’ve found it difficult to create a new post, so I will leave my comment here. This is a “Temperature Check - UNI-based Fee Tiers”.

I’d like to design a model that enables lower fee tiers for UNI holders. It’s very simple.

Holders of 0-5k UNI, pay 25bps on trades on Uniswap
If 5k-25k UNI, then 20bps fee
Above 25k, then 15bps

Please lmk if any folks from the Uniswap team are interested in discussing this.

I believe it is sensible to make those who hold the core asset of the Uniswap protocol (UNI) feel a little more at home when they’re trading on the Uniswap protocol.