Hi, everyone. I’m Kohei from Senate Labs. We are building Senate, a governance facilitation tool to address governance apathy and help increase voter participation. We currently support 47 Uniswap voters, and as we consider expanding our scope for Uniswap governance, we wanted to share our proposal to receive feedback from the community before submitting it to Uniswap Foundation.
The purpose of this grant proposal is to enhance Uniswap governance capabilities through the implementation of dedicated features. These features are designed to increase the voting participation rate, attract new voters and make sure proposals reach quorum by providing Uniswap community with a tool to easily stay aware of the governance.
Senate is a new set of governance facilitation features that make participation in DAO governance easier. We reduce the friction in governance by aggregating all active proposals (offchain & onchain) along with due time, voting status, and quorum status for each proposal in one place.
- Currently, 47 voters are following Uniswap’s governance through Senate
- Added support for offchain and onchain proposals of Uniswap governance
- Added a sanity check to ensure that we are not missing any offchain or onchain proposals from Uniswap
- Won the finalist & 2nd place of Infrastructure at ETHCC Hack 2022
- Won the best accessibility tool from AAVE Grants DAO & the best community tool from Optimism at ETHOnline 2022
We currently support 30+ DAOs by providing a proposal dashboard and a daily bulletin email to help their voters easily stay aware of what’s happening in governance. However, each DAO’s governance is unique. To continue contributing to Uniswap governance, we concluded that we should implement features that are tailored to Uniswap.
The following work packages detail the project scope:
1) Uniswap governance notifications
We will build a notification that is designed for Uniswap governance. It will enable delegates and voters to easily stay informed about active proposals (both offchain and onchain), including the due time, voting status and quorum of each proposal.
2) Subscription button on the forum
To enable the community to easily subscribe to the governance notifications directly from Uniswap page, we will implement a Uniswap-themed subscription button that can be integrated into the Uniswap forum.
3) Quorum threshold notifications
To ensure proposals reach quorum, we will add support for Uniswap proposal quorum and implement Uniswap-themed quorum notifications to be sent to voters who have not yet cast their votes in proposals that are about to end without quorum.
4) Enabling Slack, Telegram, and Discord notifications
Although email is currently the only channel we support for sending governance notifications, we recognize that many Uniswap delegates, particularly blockchain clubs and professional delegates predominantly use Telegram, Discord, or Slack. As a result, we will be expanding our support to include Slack, Telegram, and Discord as additional notification channels.
Why integrate Senate with Uniswap?
To ensure the security and resilience of protocols, decentralized governance is crucial. However, actively participating in governance can be challenging due to proposals emerging on different platforms (offchain or onchain) without a set schedule. As a result, it’s easy for voters to miss out on crucial decisions.
Moreover, Uniswap’s multi-chain expansion has led to a significant increase in the number of proposals over the past 4 months. It is reasonable to expect that this number will continue to rise as more deployments are made and the cross-chain governance space is further explored.
By implementing the dedicated toolings listed above, Uniswap can provide the community with an easy way to stay aware of the governance. This can help increase the voting participation rate and the number of new voters, as well as make sure proposals reach quorum.
KPI we expect to achieve
Senate aims to improve the following key metrics
- Voter participation marginal increase
- Number of net new voters increase
- Forum participation increase
We would like to request $5K for implementing the tools listed above + expanding notification channels + conducting a test pilot for 3 months.
- Discuss concerns or questions regarding the integration of Senate
- If there is enough community consensus, we will apply to Uniswap Foundation
- Once it’s approved, we will start implementing
- After 3 months from the integration date, we will share the results of the changes to the KPIs
We have recently received a grant from AGD to integrate Senate with Aave, and some of the backend work overlaps in the implementation of governance notifications. Therefore, we plan to concentrate solely on Uniswap and Aave for the next 3 months and develop dedicated features to address the issue.