Gasless Voting for Uniswap DAO on Tally

Voting has become unaffordable for many delegates on Ethereum L1. Tally proposes to partner with Uniswap to fund a budget for gasless voting and execute voting transactions via a relayer service.

Parameters

• Wallet must have at least 10 UNI in delegated voting power
  • 20 votes per wallet (budgeting for 20 proposals in the next 12 months). We can re-up in Q2 2025, or if there are an unexpectedly large number of proposals later this year.

Demo of Gasless Voting UI

We’re working on our gasless voting UI internally and have a version complete and functional for ENS DAO. Feel free to let us know if you have any feedback.

Demo attached

Cost

Tally is happy to be paid in UNI, ETH, or USDC. This budget is for the next 12 months and supposes 20 proposals will be made during this time.

• Budget for Gas: Recommended 32 ETH, but up to Uniswap DAO. Our reasoning is below:
    • In the last 12 months, there were 20 proposals with an average 820.81 votes per proposal. The average cost per vote (of the last 100 transactions) was 0.0018228603 ETH. (See this sheet for more info on voting cost history in Uniswap.)
      • Our average ETH budget per proposal is 820.1 x 0.0018228603 ETH, so 1.496221963 ETH.
      • Uniswap had ~20 proposals in the last 12 months, so 20 x 1.496221963 ETH = our proposed annual budget of 29.92443926 ETH.
      • We recommend rounding up to 32 ETH to account for the fact that people previously sidelined by gas costs (and thus not factored into our averages) could be incentivised to vote once voting is gasless.
  • Budget for Tally: For building and maintaining this feature, Tally requests the token equivalent of 20,000 USD.

Timeline

• April 8: Begin technical work
  • April 18: Gasless voting live for Uniswap DAO

Gasless voting is already possible with signatures via uniswap vote. It does seem like it is not used much considering the data you provided.

Is there a reason why the signature approach cannot be adopted vs the solution proposed here?

Also, could this be sybiled attacked? I.e. many accounts funded with 10 UNI vote when gas prices are very high with intent to drain funding.

1 Like

I would support improving uni.vote, and perhaps integrating it in Tally. It seems a more cost-efficient and sustainable option compared with the budget proposed here.

Can you check your demo link, I got access denied when trying to open it?

1 Like

hey @coolhorsegirl, thanks for this prop! could you describe the technical solution you’d be using to enable gasless voting?

I want to express my opinion.

1. After upgrading the Ethereum network and its L2 solutions, gas costs have noticeably decreased.
  2. If someone wants to vote, but cannot afford it, that is what delegation is for. We need to find a delegate who meets your ideals.

It’s a cool intitiave but it’s actually considered as part of Delegate Reward plan as gas fee affects active voters (who are mostly delegates) the most. And the reward for delegates which will be based on certain metrics will help to cover their gas cost

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback from all! Happy to move forward with this proposal if there is interest now or later from the DAO - please keep in mind this would take about 2 weeks to initially implement. Responding to a few points:

Is there a reason why the signature approach cannot be adopted vs the solution proposed here? - @Userisky

Like uni.vote, Tally’s relayer solution actually does use a signature approach.

Can you check your demo link, I got access denied when trying to open it? - @kfx

Here is a fixed demo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c8C3E7tHV5QsWW1LXT4K-CkblCHKf1tz/view?usp=sharing

could you describe the technical solution you’d be using to enable gasless voting? - @eek637

Our solution would work very similarly to uni.vote, but on Tally. To implement gasless voting, we would use a relayer and signature-based system.

Voters sign their vote offchain using their private key, creating a secure signature that represents their voting choice for a specific proposal. This signed message is then sent to a relayer. The relayer submits the vote to the blockchain on the voter’s behalf, covering the gas fees. We can do this in batches to make it cheaper, as well. A smart contract verifies the signature to ensure it’s valid and records the vote.

Echoing @kfx here, why not just focus on a grant to improve uni.vote and integrate it within Tally. This seems like a more long term sustainable solution.

Also as @Doo_StableLab said, the working group is currently working on a delegate reward (Rebates included) so I suggest waiting for that report too.

Finally, UMA (myself) proposed a similar solution, but it was much cheaper as we didn’t charge the additional service fee of $20k that Tally is charging. Our program also encourages continuous participation, whereas this doesn’t. Saying that, we decided to combine our proposal with Doo’s proposal hence the formation of the working group.