[Discussion] Uniswap Liquidity Incentive Plan

Burning UNI token to shrink supply is a wrong move for sustainable growth in the Unicorn governance structure.

2 Likes

Can you explain what do you mean?

How long drafting a proposal could take?

1 Like

I think discord group sounds a great idea. I feel Uniswapā€™s discord is relatively under-utilized comparing to other projects.

Do you want to take a lead on starting that? I feel at least several active members would be willing to support there.

2 Likes

Sure!
Iā€™ll think a bit more about the groupā€™s initial structure and then make a topic on the forum with the link.

2 Likes

A proposal that is developed collectively by the active part of the community and is somewhat consensually approved by it could be less contentious. A lot of details could be decided by simple votes.

Regarding ā€œconsensually approvedā€: The proposal already went through Temperature Check and Consensus Check Snapshot polls, with ample time for community to discuss and vote. There was a clear majority meeting participation thresholds in both cases.

The forum / snapshot method is more transparent than a Discord channel where you donā€™t establish a readily accessible record and cannot enforce that participants are UNI holders.

3 Likes

That discussion was a bit offtopic regarding this specific proposal.
I referred to an option to get quick feedback in the pre-proposal stage when the proposal specifics are more transformable.
I personally would appreciate having this option, as it would save me a lot of time and effort developing ideas that have no demand in the community.
By no means does it exclude the public discourse and soft governance procedures that follow after the proposal is published.

While we hear the cricket chirpingā€¦

Volume is still low in comparison with Uniswap though (roughly 1/5th, or less)

Sorry to say it like this but so far, from my point of view, the process for the new incentives campaign has been a bit of a disaster. I love the discussions weā€™ve had here, but Iā€™m concerned that we are still debating and not voting. During this time, Iā€™m both happy and surprised Sushi didnā€™t steal more volume. At this point (1 month after the start of this thread) my expectations with regards to governance have dropped sharply and Iā€™m kind of just hoping that V3 comes fast enough. It looks like big delegates have mostly abandoned us here.

I know Compound governance has existed for a bit longer and deals with different matters, but to give you a point of comparison, they have voted on 4 proposals (3 of them passed) while we were discussing hereā€¦ Maybe itā€™s not the best metric, maybe there are problems (Iā€™m not familiar w/ Compoun gov.), but still.

5 Likes

I see this delay as a very positive thing.
Had the vote gone through immediately, we would have never learned what you pointed out to:

Users didnā€™t follow liquidity. And this is a key lesson for the entire project and for the dex space at large.

Sushiswap is currently burning its tokens away in order to attract LPs. Good.
What good are LPs without users?
Plus itā€™s safe to assume that the majority of LPs will come back to Uniswap as soon as Sushis wonā€™t be distributed anymore.

We still have enough liquidity to operate, we still have most of the users, why would we even want to spend UNIs here?

It wouldnā€™t bring the protocol much, it would be very expensive, it would contribute to centralizing governance in the hands of the LPs, and it would take away bullets that could be used later, in case they are actually needed at some point.
LP incentives take away from other incentive programs we might decide to put in place in the future.

I would love to see the delay last longer tbh.

3 Likes

People get higher slippage with Uniswap now on many ā€œhot pairsā€ as we have shown.
Some trades are not rational from an economical standpoint and are probably the result of a lack of information (we love a brand, but when itā€™s cheaper elsewhere for the same end result [in this case, a pure amount of cryptocurrency], thatā€™s what rational people will choose).
Sushi is growing at a fast pace. Its token too : 3x in terms of eth value vs beginning of November.
Vesting and staking slows down selling pressure.
They are using inflation as a weapon. We are using inflation to do nothing, currently.
They incentivize all the new up and coming coins.
ESD is next.
Please donā€™t take users for granted.

1 Like

Hi allo, thanks for your answer.
I certainly donā€™t take users for granted, what did I write that makes you think I do?

On the contrary, one of the incentive programs I had in mind here was the incentivizing of usage, which would aim at the end users. Because I donā€™t take them for granted.

I agree with everything else in your comment.

It would be interesting to see how many Ā« irrational Ā» trades are made on Uni.
We can probably estimate it.
Irrational is when youā€™d get a better outcome on another DEX.

When you said Ā« liquidity didnā€™t follow users Ā», thatā€™s when I thought you might be taking things for granted. Itā€™s an ongoing process and the results could be showing up more in 1 month.

Sorry for my alarmist toneā€¦

I donā€™t know why the proposal is taking longer than necessary? Voting gears up governance cos it engages delegates optimally, and until a voting process is won, there remains an important mileston Unicorn governance is yet to attain.

To be perfectly honest, I think V3 really is around the corner and that could explain why big delegates are putting stuff on hold. Of course I canā€™t confirm anything here. Itā€™s just hard to explain how code for an incentives distributor that uses basically the same structure but with different values would take weeks to writeā€¦

Maybe @monet-supply can tell us how the code is progressing so far ? Or @coopahtroopa

1 Like

Itā€™s an interesting question indeed.
At the first glance, I know that I could fall under this irrational category.
But thereā€™s additional parameters that could be easily overlooked, in my case for example the fact that sushiswap offers services such as limit orders, that according to their own website go through unaudited code, thatā€™s a red flag.

Other than that Iā€™m also thinking that imminent announcements about V3 could be the reason why this is taking longer than expected.

Which is why Iā€™m a uni holder, which is why I favor Uniswap as a user.

Thereā€™s still some irrationality in this (Uniswap fanboyism) but itā€™s probably a minor component of the choice.

I think a major part of it is also simply awareness: frequent defi users all know sushiswap, sure. Other users, not necessarily. They might know the name, but as long as Uniswap is satisfying enough, why bother spending some time determining if alternatives would justify switching platorms?

1 Like

Similar to others here I have real concerns about the length of time this governance cycle has taken relative to other governance cycles in other ecosystems (ie. Compound).

While I appreciate this is a non trivial decision - it shouldnā€™t take two months+ to reach an executable consensus for the adjustment of distribution parameters on a pre-existing distribution contract.

What am I missing here - please correct me if Iā€™ve over simplifying this process.

2 Likes

You are not over simplifying the process! Thereā€™s more to this issue than just writing code for a proposal to allow for adjustment of figures on an already existing incentives distribution formulae. Letā€™s wait and watch as things unfold.

Uniswap clearly has the most mysterious governance process for now :ghost:

1 Like

So am I. All the discussions here didnt develop uniswap. Soon defi on polkadot or other ā€œcheaper transactingā€ blockchains becomes a thing. Bring up some incentives for usage/new users. Or continue your beauty sleep until the world changed.

ā€œnon-governanceā€, notice how proposals pushed by VCs get done, unlike the others

1 Like